Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greetings from Melissa Tacke, Grems-Doolittle Library's new Librarian

I'm excited to come on board as Librarian at the Grems-Doolittle Library. During my first few days here, I have been warmly welcomed and helped enormously by our wonderful volunteers. I have also had the opportunity to meet several researchers and members of the Society, and I look forward to meeting more.

In my most recent experience before coming to the Library, I worked as a Library Assistant at Albany Public Library's Main Library. I have also worked as Project Archivist for the Adirondack Museum, where I processed and cataloged a number of collections, including the personal papers of Clarence Petty and Richard Lawrence, two of the “founding fathers” of the Adirondack Park Agency. Additionally, I served as Project Archivist at Bennington College, where I arranged, described, and preserved college records relevant to the documentation of the campus’ historic buildings. My appointment coincided with Bennington’s 75th anniversary, which provided me with opportunities to field numerous queries and create exhibits about the college’s history. I have also volunteered at the Efner City History Center and served as an intern at the College of Saint Rose Archives and Northeast Parent and Child Society. I have also earned my degrees in the area, from the University at Albany. There, I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Women’s Studies and Africana Studies in 2003, a Master’s degree in Women’s Studies in 2005, and a Master’s degree in Information Science in 2007.

I'm beginning to get to know the Library's collections, and I look forward to sharing some of the highlights of our collections here on this blog. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions or comments, or simply come in and say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment